Friday, October 30, 2009
SAN DIEGO – The U.S. Coast Guard and Navy were still hoping Friday to find survivors of a collision between a Coast Guard plane carrying two people and a Marine Corps helicopter carrying seen off the Southern California coast.
The crash was reported at 7:10 p.m. Thursday, about 50 miles off the San Diego County coast and 15 miles east of San Clemente Island, Coast Guard spokeswoman Petty Officer Allyson Conroy said.
A pilot reported seeing a fireball near where the aircraft collided, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said, and the Coast Guard informed the FAA that debris from a C-130 had been spotted. The Coast Guard plane that crashed was a C-130.
The Coast Guard crew members had survival gear onboard their aircraft, including exposure suits that could have allowed them to survive in the water for hours, Petty Officer Henry Dunphy said Friday from San Diego.
"We're hoping to find survivors," he said. "We're not ruling that out."
At least seven Coast Guard and Navy ships and several helicopters continued a search that ran overnight under a bright moon in calm seas.
"We've pretty much thrown everything we have at it right now," Dunphy said.
The Coast Guard plane was based in Sacramento and was on a search-and-rescue mission when the collision occurred, Dunphy said. He did not have details of the mission.
The AH-1W Super Cobra helicopter was on a training mission when it went down, said Cpl. Michael Stevens, a spokesman for the Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.
The Cobra and its crew are part of Marine Aircraft Group 39, based at Camp Pendleton, and the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, which is headquartered at Miramar, Stevens said.
San Clemente Island is the southernmost of the eight Channel Islands located 68 nautical miles west of San Diego. The Navy has owned and trained at San Clemente Island since 1934, according to the island's Web site. Naval Air Station, North Island is responsible for the island's administration.
Earlier this week, it was an AH-1 Cobra attack helicopter that collided with a UH-1 helicopter over southern Afghanistan, killing four American troops and wounding two more, a Marine spokesman said.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
was $1.26 billion
- 2009 Quadrennial Roles and Missions Review (QRM) Report
- All Hands Manual 2009
- China - The Olympics countdown – broken promises
- Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide
- Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
- DTM 09-009
- Economic Report of the President Economic Report of the President February 11, 2008
- Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008
- Iraq Study Group Report
- Landmine Casualty Data: Best Practices Guidebook
- National Strategy for Combating Terrorism
- NAVADMIN 006/09
- NAVADMIN 007/09
- NAVADMIN 219/11
- NAVADMIN 219/11
- NAVADMIN 246/10
- USCG Posture Statement
- USCG Strategy
- Zionism Today is the Real Enemy of the Jews
Pictures from Santiago Trip
- ► 2011 (119)
- ► 2010 (1607)
- Today's Top News 10.30
- GI Bill
- PCU New York Commissioning
- Flu Vaccinations
- Seabee Haunted House
- Sasebo Halloween Celebration
- Manatee Transport
- NSA Naples Haunted House
- Headlines for October 30 2009
- An Update on the F-35
- Morrell Remarks
- Collision Update
- Military plane, helicopter collide off California
- H1N1 Update
- Afghan Security
- Mid-Air Collision
- Today's Top News 10.29
- Pentagon Briefing
- USS Lassen's Vietnamese American Commander
- President Visits NAS Jax
- Sasebo Harbor Patrol
- Military Family of the Year
- Election Update
- NSA Naples Sponsorship Program
- Headlines for October 29 2009
- Shanks on Afghan Security
- Fallen Servicemembers
- Coast Guard Rescue
- Kansas Troops Deploy
- World Series
- Obama at Dover Air Force Base
- Today's Top News 10.28
- Pay Raise for the Military!
- USS George Washington Flu Vaccinations
- USS Blue Ridge CPR Training
- San Diego Paralympics
- Sasebo Supply Rate
- Presidential Remarks
- Football Player Visits MCAS Miramar
- Headlines for October 28, 2009
- Attack in Afghanistan
- Update on Helo Crash
- Gen. Xu Visit
- Missile Defense Update
- Soldier Listens to Son
- Missile Test
- What's the cost of not showing up to court?
- Attacks in Afghanistan
- Today's Top News 08.27
- Afghans Hold Rule of Law Conference
- M-ATV Production
- USS Makin Island Commissioning
- USS Guardian Inspection
- Fleetwide H1N1 Vaccination
- CFC Bahrain
- U.S. Military Role in Iraq
- Pearl Harbor Wet Trainer
- Headlines for October 27
- Good Grief Camp
- Please don't come as Letterman to the office Hallo...
- Obama on American Casualties
- MG Nash Briefing
- Suicide Prevention
- Georgian Troop Training
- Mental Health Summit
- Obama to Sign Defense Bill
- Pirates 'seize UK yacht couple'
- Joint Chiefs chairman seeks brain-injury limit
- Today's Top News 10.26
- Mental Health Summit
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Returns
- NSA Bahrain H1N1 Vaccine
- New DON Leadership
- Lt Cmdr John Mentzer wins marathon
- Iraq Elections
- Elliot Yamin In Sasebo Japan
- Headlines for October 26 2009
- Marine Corps Marathon
- Iraq Attacks
- Afghan Election Preps
- Drug Bust
- USNS Arctic Crash
- Baghdad Bombing
- U.S. Troops Killed
- Fox News' War on the White House
- Ethanol tanks
- PTSD wrenches service member's heart, home
- Small Business Faces Sharp Rise in Costs of Health...
- Historians Reassess Battle of Agincourt
- Privacy and the Patriot Act
- CNN Special on Latinos Stokes Debate Over Dobbs
- NATO members support U.S. troop hike in Afghanista...
- Today's Top News 10.23
- Update on NATO
- USS Arleigh Burke Returns To Norfolk
- Yokosuka H1N1 Vaccine
- Norfolk Immigration Symposium
- NSA Bahrain Hispanic Heritage Observance
- USS New York in Norfolk
- EOD Training In The Phillipines
- ▼ October (359)